Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Nanaimo Bars

Layer I: Cream 1/2 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of sugar. Mix in 1 egg, 5 tbsp of cocoa and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Place bowl in boiling water and stir until smooth. Mix in 2 cups of graham crumbs, 1 cup of coconut and (optional-I do not do this: 1/2 cup walnuts.) Press into 8x8 pan. Let cool in fridge.

Layer II: Mix 1/4 cup of butter, 3 tbsp of milk, 2 tbsp dry custard and 2 cups of icing sugar*. Smooth over first layer and cool until firm (usually a couple of hours).

Layer III: In a double boiler and using only dry, metal utensils**, melt 1/2 cup of butter. Add cocoa to desired consistency, 2 cups of icing sugar*, 1 tsp of vanilla, and 3 tsp of cream. Blend well. Spread over second layer when firm.

Refrigerate.

*icing sugar is also known as "powdered sugar" to you Americans
**the chocolate will seize if it comes in contact with water and then it is ruined and you have to start over. Wooden spoons often harbour water, metal is safest. Trust me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sariah said...

Don't forget the mint. We make our top layer by melting mint chocolate chips. I think. I'll have to find the recipe again.

February 01, 2006 7:45 PM  
Blogger Proud Mum said...

I do like a mint variation, yes. But I find that harder to find... although now that I'm thinking about it, adding a few drops of peppermint extract to the top while it's cooking might do the same thing... thanks for reminding me of my favourite variation!

February 02, 2006 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home