Friday, November 25, 2005

Seven Layer Bars, and "Dream Bars" variation

When I saw this recipe for Seven Layer Bars, I immediately thought of the Dream Bars we used to make at Christmastime when I was a kid. Because the Seven Layer Bars seem fancier, I decided to make them this year instead of the old standby.

It worked out well, except my graham crust turned out a little mushy. There are a couple of reasons why this might have happened. For one thing, I was trying my new 9 x 9 silicon baking pan. For another, I was using the microwave. I just have to say I love the silicon baking pan! (Even if it might have been the cause of the mushy crust.)


SEVEN LAYER BARS

½ cup butter or margarine
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup shredded coconut
8 oz. chocolate chips
8 oz. butterscotch chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Melt butter in 9 x 9 pan. Sprinkle graham crumbs over melted butter, press down. Sprinkle coconut then chocolate chips then butterscotch chips. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over all. Sprinkle with nuts; press lightly. Bake 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

This recipe freezes well.


Notes:

Cook 6-8 minutes in microwave oven, turning often.
I used peanut butter chips instead of butterscotch chips.



DREAM BARS

1 cup graham crumbs
1 pkg (6 oz.) chocolate chips
1 pkg (3½ oz.) coconut
1 can condensed milk

Combine all ingredients. Place in 8 x 8 baking pan. Cook 8 minutes in microwave, turning often.

Notes:

For the microwave, I recommend cooking in one minute intervals, turning the pan a quarter turn each minute. 8 minutes works for a lower-wattage microwave oven. In both recipes, watch for bubbles in the outside corners. Once you start to see that, it's just about done. The outside squares (especially the corners) will be crispy and the middle ones will be soft and gooey. Sometimes it's hard to get the balance just right so that the outside isn't overdone and the middle isn't underdone. If it gets a little crispy, eat the corners yourself and freeze the rest.

2 Comments:

Blogger April_Mommy said...

Would I still need to turn my pan if it is on a rotating platter in the microwave? Or do I just need to stir the chips so they melt? hmmmm...

November 26, 2005 1:04 PM  
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

I have read in different recipes that you still need to turn the pan even with a rotating platter. Maybe just not as frequently?

I don't think stirring would work, because you are trying to "bake" the mix. It won't set nicely if you stir it. (It would be sort of like stirring cake batter in the pan while it's cooking.)

November 27, 2005 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home