Saturday, December 03, 2005

Moroccan Stew

This is adapted from ‘‘Rockin’ Moroccan Stew’’ and it’s from the Crazy Plates cookbook by Janet and Greta Podleski.

It’s a very flavourful vegetarian dish, full of beta carotene from the sweet potato. I think the chickpeas are the main source of protein, so keep that in mind if you decide to leave them out.

The recipe lends itself well to modifications. I use all colours of peppers, not just green. When I made some for my mom and dad to try, I left out the chickpeas and just put more onion, pepper, and sweet potato in. One ‘improper’ substitution I sometimes make is using chicken broth for the vegetable broth (not good for a supposedly vegetarian dish).


2 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced (or more if you like)
3 cups vegetable broth
3 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
1 can (19 oz) tomatoes, drained and cut up
1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp grated gingerroot
1 tsp each ground cumin, curry powder, ground coriander, and chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp light peanut butter
chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onions, green pepper, and garlic until vegetables begin to soften.

Add all remaining ingredients except peanut butter, and cilanto (if using). Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.

Stir in peanut butter and cilantro (if using) and simmer for a few more minutes. Serve hot.


Notes:
The recipe is not ruined if you use a 28 oz can of tomatoes instead of a 19 oz can because that’s all you have.

I find that fresh ginger is really hard to grate, so I usually just chop it up.

I cook the whole thing in a dutch oven, same as any stew-type meal.

The original recipe called for raisins in with the peanut butter and cilantro, but I don’t like raisins so I just left them out.

1 Comments:

Blogger James said...

One tip on fresh gated ginger. I keep mine in the freezer and then it it is really easy to grate.

September 06, 2010 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home