Saturday, April 22, 2006

Chicken Chile Verde with Pepitas (or Green Chile Chicken Stew)

(This is another recipe from my friend Christy. She really is an amazing cook. And she finds such good recipes!)

You asked for some recipes to use with Green Chile you're gonna get some! This is a really good meal. I have made it with Southern Style hashbrowns with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top as a side, but really does well by itself.

This recipe calls for one can of chopped green chilies. I usually use two to three whole green chilies minced. It works out to about 3-5 tablespoons.


I've also altered this recipe to make it into a soup. This is the one that Shane took out to work as leftovers where a co-worker sampled it and said "Tell Mama to make me some of that!"

To make it as a soup cut the chicken into 1/2 inch cubes before cooking. Add a little peanut oil to a saucepan instead of a large skillet. Follow all the directions till the chicken broth. Add more chicken broth than the recipe asks for. I think I do one can to almost two cans.

Let the soup simmer or a little while, and regardless of which way you make it I like using dried cilantro found in the spices isle rather than fresh cilantro. Something about the look of it appeals to me better. A dollop of sour cream on top is a must! If its too spicey the sour cream helps to calm it a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home