Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Stromboli

I couldn't remember if someone was already using orange, and I don't recall what my original color was, so if I 'stole' :) someone's color, let me know and I'll change it. :)

2 loaves bread dough (I often will use rhodes frozen dough to save time, but you can make your own too)

1 Pound ground venison (as we don't have venison, we usually use hamburger or sausage - sausage is super yummy!)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
1 can (4 oz) mushrooms stems and pieces, drained.
2 T olive or vegetable oil
1t Italian seasoning
3 T prepared Italian salad dressing divided
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
2 packages (3 oz each) sliced pepperoni
1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
Spaghetti sauce, warmed, optional

Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled. Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, cook meat, onion, green pepper, and mushrooms in oil until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in italian seasoning, set aside. (I prefer to put the seasoning in while I cook the meat, I also like to squirt some italian salad dressing in there to for a little extra zest). On a lightly floured surface, punch dough down. Roll out each loaf into a rectangle; cut in half lengthwise ( or just take half of the loaf and role it out). Brush dough with italian dressing. On each half, mound a 1/4 of the meat mixture, cheese, and pepporoni. Fold the dough over filling and seal edges well.

Place on a greased baking sheet. Brush outsides with Italian dressing, sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Slive; serve with spaghetti sauce if desired. Yield: 4 loaves 1-2 servings each)

Edits: Ok, I don't follow this recipe strictly, I have used many different kinds of cheese, and the measurements are easily fit to taste. It is amazingly easy and only takes about 20 minutes (max) to prepare once the dough is risen. For the Spaghetti sauce often, I just take a can of tomato sauce and add some Italian seasoning, garlic, and basil to it and warm it. We have found that we can easily fee our family of 6 (granted the kids are on the little side) with this recipe and still have leftovers. I tend to be generous on the filling, cheese, and pepperoni. There are a lot of fun ways to tweak it. And it is GOOD!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home